Sunday, March 30, 2003

UJ: songs for peace

There is some sentiment out there that actors and musicians should not be expressing their opinion about the war in Iraq, I could not disagree more. I think that being an American means being able to stand up and say what you think about something. Obviously actors, musicians and celebrities have a bigger media outlet to share their opinion...and no, I don't think it makes their opinion more valid, but I think it makes it something that main-stream American can hear. I think that it is one of the great benefits of being a celebrity...you have an instant platform to speak out about issues that are important to you.

So, I am encouraged when I see celebrities using their access to the lime light and public opinion to share their passions in life...and for many right now their passion is to speak out against this war. And I would still feel the same...and do...for those celebrities who speak out in favor of the war. That is what it is to be an American...to live in this country....we don't decide who has the right to voice their opinion. In the end, I would much rather watch Entertainment Tonight and see celebs talking about the war...instead of seeing what type of Gucci shoes they bought last weekend. We are in a time of war and unrest...so, to not talk about it, seems naive and vain....even for those celebs (or as the right likes to call them...mindless actors!)

So...that long winded complain....is leading up to two musicians who have been speaking their mind about the war and the notion of peace. The first one is....my musical god...John Mellencamp. He has written a song called "To Washington." It is overall a song about the political state of this country, but it also pays careful attention to the current war situation. I think it is a simple, honest and beautiful account of some of the things that are going on in this country. He's getting some flak for it, but I couldn't be more proud. He has always been someone who believed strongly in things and had the courage to stand up for them. I expected nothing less from Mellencamp.

You can download Mellencamp's song "To Washington" by going to his website. I encourage you to take a listen.

http://www.mellencamp.com

And the second musician to release a anti-war/peace song is Lenny Kravitz. I have been a Lenny fan for a long time...honestly, since he married Lisa Bonet from the Cosby Show. I love his style...the retro sound...and how comfortable he seems to be in his own skin. When I heard on the radio that he had a new song out, I was excited....and when I heard it was an anti-war song...I was elated! This song is called, "We Want Peace" and I think the backstory to this is very interesting. The song is a collaboration between Kravitz and Kazem Al Sihar. Kazem Al Sihar is the #1 Pop Artist in Iraq....he is outstandingly popular in the country. He originates from Egypt, but his music is profoundly successful in Iraq. Kravitz wrote the lyrics and then together they wrote the music and peformed it. I think it is a wonderful sign of how these two different sides of the world...can work together, if both parties are willing. I hope this song is being heard in Iraq as well as being heard in the states.

You can download Lenny's new song, "We Want Peace" as well. It is on the Rock the Vote website. I also encourage you to take a listen to this one as well....

http://www.rockthevote.org

And one final connected piece...I could not be PROUDER of Michael Moore on Oscar night. He not only won for an amazing documentary, "Bowling For Columbine" but he also spoke his mind about the current administration. He just wouldn't be Michael Moore if he didn't say that. Some say his acceptance speech was inappropriate, but I say that if he said anything else...that is what would be inappropriate. He is a political man...who makes movies about political and socially relevant issues. If he didn't make some sort of statement...then I think it would have been highly disrespectful to all that "Bowling for Columbine" did.

If you happen to want to see, read or get some feedback comments from Michael Moore on his Oscar speech, then head over to:

http://www.michaelmoore.com

Ok, that's enough outta me today....and now I am gonna get dressed and head to the center of town for the Annual Homeless Walk. It is quite chilly...but I even without perfect weather, I am so excited about this opportunity....not only to raise money for homelessness, but to raise awareness about the issue. Wish me luck!