Friday, November 22, 2002

UJ: one of those crazy days....

today was just one of those hectic days...filled with chaos. I love the work that I do and would not want to do anything else, but some days....it is harder than others.

Here is a quick overview...we had one guest who is going through withdrawl and is pretty much not himself, non responsive and just in a lot of pain. It's difficult because there isn't a lot we can do to help him.

I also had to call the paramedics to Shalom twice today...one for a woman whose legs were hurting so badly she couldn't walk and another for a man who was having seizures.

And then, I spent time talking with a woman who has a lot of things going on...and has some mental health things that she is not willing to recognize. The delusions and paranoia are sometimes difficult to sit with.

And finally...at about 3 minutes before closing I had someone enter with a problem that should have taken hours. It always seems like these things happen on Fridays when there isn't a tomorrow to be dealing with. This person needed some help and it would have been horrible to have to wait until Monday. We found a solution together....it wasn't the perfect one, but it was one that both of us could live with.

It was a difficult day, but not a bad one....I know this kind of work will have days like that. Sometimes it is more often that not...it just gets hard and you have to remind yourself not to get overwhelmed in the moment. Probably the most difficult thing is that with all the constant stimulation at work, all I ate today was a bagel....so now, I have quite the headache and my tummy is rumbling.

Time to eat...I hope everyone has a great weekend. I plan on cleaning some of the apartment and doing some shopping. It may sound boring to some, but it sounds great to me.

peace,