Monday, April 13, 2009

Want a cup o' tea?

Happy Monday all...it's a happy Monday for me because I have the day off work. I am spending the day cleaning and puttering around the house. I also might buy some 50% off candy too...since I love candy and cheap candy is even better. The funny thing...I didn't eat any candy on Easter and probably won't for a few weeks, but cheap is still cheap.

I was out running errands this morning and saw a little station wagon driving around with a sign in their back window advertising for the "Tea Party" on April 15th. Here is a link to a site that explains what these tea parties are all about. It's basically saying government is out of control and that the "tax and spend" mentality needs to stop.

So, am I planning to go to one of these tea parties??? Umm...hell no. One of my co-workers...one of the secretaries who is quite the conservative, Republican plans on going to one of the local tea parties. (I made a reference to her tea bagging it on the 15th...and the fact that she had no idea what I was talking about just made it even more hilarious). She asked if I was going...and I responded that I have no interest in that at all.

And I don't. Yes, I do think our government spending is too much...but I also think that we are backed into a corner and have no choice. Democrats are known for being the tax and spenders, etc. However...the trouble we are in is because the Republicans have been just spenders. Our debt has continued to rack up while we are at war and our economy is tanking. There are no easy or good solutions.

No one wants their taxes raised, but in reality...I wouldn't mind because I know it is what needs to be done. We have to get our checkbook as a nation in balance. We can't keep pushing this debt off on future generations. We have to be willing to sacrifice.

Another thing that drives me batty about these "tea parties" is that it is this protest planned by mostly those lovely Republicans. I don't mind people protesting...it's one of the great things about this country. We get to voice our dissent. However, this is by the same people who clammered on and on during the Bush administration that anyone who did not support the President was Anti-American. I can remember this same secretary at work rolling her eyes at me and telling me that not supporting Bush was unacceptable. She told me he was our President and so we need to support his policies as a nation. But with Obama...she is strutting around so proud of her tea bag protest.

Anybody have any thoughts on these tea parties? Agree or disagree? Maybe I have it all wrong and I just haven't heard the right point of view yet. Let me know.