Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Sleep Apnea

My mom went to the hospital last night to have her sleep test done...since they think she might have sleep apnea. My dad she would often slow down or stop breathing for short periods of time...and that she has been doing it for decades. She got the call that there was a cancellation...and she packed her bags and headed for the sleep center.

She said it was a little chaotic...and weird...but also fun. The nurse running the test said that she probably did have sleep apnea, but the doctor would have to call her and actually tell her if she did or not. She said the next step would be talking about oxygen levels and fitting her for a sleeping machine, if she needs one. They ain't pretty...but who needs to be pretty while you sleep?

I am so glad she went....she was supposed to have this done years ago, but she kept rescheduling and cancelling because she thought it would be embarassing to sleep at the hospital. One of the great things that came out of my mom having to be in the hospital...was that it got her to let go of a lot of that and realize that she needs to be do whatever she needs to do to insure that she remains healthy.

Other than that...no real news...except that I walked to work today. I have had enough of the gas prices. I figure...instead of just bitching about them, I am going to stop buying as often. I only work about 2 miles from home...so, I am throwing on my sneakers and hiking myself to work and back. Most people work far enough away from home...they don't have that option, so I consider myself lucky.