Monday, December 05, 2005

my job....

I was thinking about my job on Friday...when I got back from a mini-conference and was clocking out to go home. If people out there don't know...I work in an alternative sentencing agency within their drug and alcohol program. So, I work within a jail diversion program....and also help run a small drug court within my county.

So...I was thinking about my job...and came to a few conclusions.

One, I really like my job...I like what I do. I find it really satisfying. I get to do a lot of different things, etc.

Second, it really does surprise the heck out of me...how much I enjoy my job. I had the thought when I was leaving work...wondering if when I graduated from grad school, if I ever thought I would be doing something like i am doing. I know...that when I just got my degree...I never could have seen myself doing what I am doing. When I graduated...I was sure I would spend my life working on the causes of homelessness and poverty. Plus, the job...is sometimes very social-worky...and sometimes not all that social-worky.

When I graduated...I would have said a job like mine isn't all that social-worky...because clients don't make the choice to do many things...they are requirements to stay out of jail. The threat of punishment...isn't something I would have seen as very social worky.

But...now looking at...I see so much social work in the job that I do. Yes, I get people who are mandated to come into my program...not people who make the choice. I get people who agree....because the alternative of going to jail is something that they do not want. But, I also see how much of an assistance I can be to those clients...I can assist them in making choices that benefit their lives...no matter how they got involved.

So...I imagine that in my 5 people who have done my job before me...that I do it with the most social work, but in the end...I think it makes the position stronger. I help clients make the correct choices...and if they make the wrong choices, I hold them accountable for their actions. If that isn't social work...I don't know what is.

Anyways...enough blathering!