Monday, November 07, 2005

Movie Review Sunday...err...Monday: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

I missed posting yesterday...since I had to work from 4pm until 1am...which I usually don't...so, my movie review is on Monday. Will ya forgive me?

Charlie and The Chocolate Factory Charlie and the Chocolate Favtory
Starring: Johnny Depp, Freddie Highmore, David Kelly
Director: Tim Burton


A plot overview...is that this is a remake of Willa Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971). The main premise is that an eccentric chocolate factory owner, Willa Wonka (Depp) closes down his factory to the outside to keep competing candy companies from stealing his ideas. Wonka decides to allow 5 children into his factory...and Charlie Buckets (Highmore) is lucky enough to be one of the 5 children. Once inside the factory...the quirky Wonka takes all the kids on an adventure and one by one each one of the kids disappears because of their own selfishness, etc.

I hated this movie....hated it. I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE the 1971 version of Willa Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. It is about as close to perfect as a movie can be...so, I knew I wouldn't like this new version. There are some movies...which are so good the first time around...a remake could never do them justice. Movies like Willa Wonka, The Christmas Story, Goonies, etc....should never be remade. They are already perfection.

Let's see...what's wrong with this version? Well, I feel that Tim Burton was the wrong person to take a stab at remaking this movie. I love Tim Burton's films...usually...but I think his style and well, weirdness...wasn't going to do this story any justice. And I also think Johnny Depp's choices in terms of how to play Willa Wonka just didn't work. He turned a character from being eccentric and a tad bit crazy...but likeable and inviting...to someone who seemed so creepy and vile. Everyone makes the Michael Jackson jokes about this film...but it is so true. It feels like you are watching Jackson inviting 5 kids into Neverland...and well, who wants to see that? I felt Gene Wilder played the character perfectly in the original...Willa Wonka was definitely crazy, but he didn't make your skin crawl.

Another huge problem...they totally ruined the Oompa Loompas. Grrr...I love the Oompa Loompas. They are crazy and fun...and sing little songs about how horrible children are. It's classic...it's great. The new version...ick...I was annoyed everytime I saw them. They didn't have the same mystical charm....plus, they were wearing the white paintsuits while dancing around.

Finally...I missed the aspect of the movie about having a competing candy company trying to get the kids to steal an everlasting gobstopper and bring it out. I felt not having that was lacking...because in the original, it gave a real reason for Charlie to win the factory. He showed himself as the only one who couldn't be bought...even when pushed.

I didn't like this movie...I kept hoping it would get better, but it did not. The original is genius...the re-make could never even come close to comparing. If you are heading out this weekend to rent Charlie and the Chocolate Factory...I recommend that you rent Willa Wonka instead!