Sunday, October 16, 2005

Movie Review Sunday: Batman Begins

It's movie Sunday again....and I only got to watch one movie which is coming out on Tuesday this week, so my pick is:

Batman Begins
Starring: Christian Bale, Katie Holmes, Michael Cane, Liam Neeson and Morgan Freeman
Director: Christopher Nolan


A quick plot review is that this is a different take on the beginning of the Batman legacy. This one is much more dark than the previous ones...there weren't mixed moments of comedy and dances to Prince numbers in this version of Batman. *giggles* It's basically the story of Bruce Wayne (Bale) watching his parents die at the hands of a desperate mugger...and then he becomes obsessed with revenge. Wayne leaves Gotham City for 7 years...and learns how he can use his sense of vengeance and wanting to fight injustice to make Gotham into the city that his parent's invisioned. When he returns to Gotham, he has Alfred (Cane) by his side along with Lucius Fox (Freeman)...who help him create Batman. And of course, he has the pesky DA Dawes (Holmes) to be in love with...and of course to save from time to time. Batman fights evil...you know the rest.

That's a pretty snarky plot overview...eh? Well, in actually...I liked the movie. I liked how it explained the darker sides of Batman and how he is always on the brink of giving in to vengeance and just smoking out the evil-doers, but that he realizes that he only becomes one of them when he does that...as his father taught him. I like how it shows Batman flawed...which we rarely got to see in the first go around of the Batman movies. I liked that the batsuit had NO NIPPLES! I thought Christian Bale was a great Batman...and played the mix of hero and tortured soul well. I am usually quite creeped out by Christian Bale...since his performance in American Psycho, but I thought he was quite charming and effective in this role.

I thought the Katie Holmes ADA character was a non-factor in this movie...they didn't make it the case for how important these two characters were to one another in it for me. I am sure they will develop this more in future movies...but I just didn't care if they ended up together in the end in this one...unlike Spiderman...where the audience was cheering for Spidy and Mary Jane to actually get together.

I thought Michael Cane and Morgan Freeman who amazing...as always. I wish I got to see more of Morgan Freeman.

And..I haven't read the DC comic books...so, I don't care if they are accurate..if they somehow betrayed the sacred comic. I just wanted a good movie...and I think Batman was that...good...not great...but definitely good.

Have fun at the movies!