Sunday, October 02, 2005

Movie Review Sunday: The Interpreter

One of the many perks of working at a video store is getting to see movies the week before they are released on DVD. The company wants us to be able to see movies before they come out, so we can tell people what we thought of them...and give recommendations when customers come in.

So, I think from now on...I am going to log on each Sunday and review a movie which I got to see over the weekend...that is coming out on Tuesday. And if by chance, I didn't get to see a new movie over the weekend...I will review an oldie, but goodie.

So, this week....my review is of:


The Interpreter
Starring: Nicole Kidman, Sean Penn
Director: Sydney Pollock



Here is a quick overview of the movie...without spoiling anything. It is the story of an interpreter at the UN (Kidman) who is being investigated and protected by a member if the Secret Service (Penn) after she overhears an assassination plan while she is at the wrong place and the wrong time...of course, the plot takes off from there and goes in a million different directions, but that is the main point.

I thought this movie was quite good...much better than I expected it to be. I adoringly love Sean Penn...and think in many ways, he can do no wrong (except marrying Madonna of course)! I think the reason I liked it so much...is because it did not go where I expected it to. It covered a lot more emotional terrority than I expected...and, it also showed a female lead in a really strong and conflicted light...instead of someone who is there for the purpose of being scared and waiting to be saved by the male lead.

I would highly recommend that you pick it up when you head out to the local video store this weekend.