Sunday, October 09, 2005

Movie Review Sunday: Unleashed

It's Sunday again...so yep, once again it is a review for a movie which is coming out on Tuesday. This week, the movie is:

Unleashed
Starring: Jet Li, Morgan Freeman, Bob Hoskins
Director: Louis Leterrier



Here is a quick plot review for ya: It's about a slave named Danny (Jet Li) who has lived his whole life...basically raised to behave like an attack dog. He breaks free from his "owner" (Hoskins) and goes to live with the kind hearted, blind, piano tuning Sam (Freeman). Unfortunately, his owner finds him and is hell bent on getting him back and using him to win these gladiator type fights. Now, Danny has to try to break free from his slavery and return to the "family" he has found.

I will be honest, I rented this movie...thinking I would not like it....AT ALL! Usually, anything martial arts-esque, I do not enjoy. To me, the lack of plot is a real turn off. Those movies just seem like one fight sequence with a smidge of plot in there to get you to the next high flying fight sequence. I often get frustrated that martial arts films are 96% fighting and 4% plot...give or take.

Having said that...I really liked this movie....it had a really interesting plot and wasn't just chuck full of aweing fight sequences. Jet Li was awesome in the fight sequences he was in, but they always seemed appropriate and well placed. Also, it has a really full plot...and there was 40 minutes to an hour of the movie which was all about Danny finding his own way...and no fighting whatsoever. I got hooked by this film...and I found myself caring about the characters (which I usually never do when it is about high flying kicks and martial maneuvers).

I think this is a movie that people will enjoy...at least I did.

Other Movies Coming Out On Tuesday:

Kicking and Screaming: It's a Will Ferrell movie...so, it's what you think it is...except, sadly it is more dumb than funny for the most part.
Kingdom of Heaven: Didn't see it...but Orlando Bloom is pretty, but I am sure that the girls will likey.
Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants: Didn't see this one either...but seems cute in a very Now and Then way.

Have fun at the movies!