Saturday, March 12, 2005

the lord will provide????

I was reading Heather's blog....who I adore...she's so smart and sassy. Hi Heather!!! Heather has an awesome blog...you should read it too.

Anyways...I was reading her latest entry....and reading the comments people left for her. One of her friends responded about her feeling frustrated about not knowing about the financial security of her future, etc...and she stated that "The Lord will provide."

I always have a personal response to statements like this...and it isn't positive. I know the purpose that it serves...to not dwell in the negative and to have faith that a higher power will take care of you, as we are all god's children.

BUT...as with everything else, I think of people in poverty...the poor...the hungry...the homeless. If this is really true...that The Lord Will Provide...then what happened to the millions of people living on the streets. The Lord did not provide for them. And...I don't happen to believe in the theory that God is testing them...or helping them learn some much needed lesson by sustaining them in their situation. I don't happen to believe in a god who would subject people to pain and torment...in order to help their realize some important life lesson. Am I to assume that these people are not strong enough in their faith...and that is not why they were provided for??? I would hope that isn't the case either.

I know the sense that The Lord Will Provide...is a really comforting notion, but for those who seem to have not only fallen on bad luck, but seem to be very much in peril...it doesn't seem very comforting to me. I always complain that our government consistently forgets about the needs of the uneducated, the poor and the oppressed....and this entry only makes me think that God may have forgetten about these folks as well. They seem to be the constant forgotten...

I often think of those people...and wonder how they fell through the cracks if god really does provide for all.

There is my somber thought for this snowy Saturday...