Saturday, November 20, 2004

Movie Review: Before Sunset

I finished my first week at work....and survived! =) I was a smidge bored on parts of Friday because the people that have been training me didn't have anything to do, so I couldn't really shadow anything. hey, it was Friday...I have learned how easy it is not to work on Friday. So, I played a little solataire and then chatted with some of the other new people who weren't working either. So, it was nice to get to know people better. Anyways...enough about the boring work reports. I am liking this job...this I know.

And now...for my movie review (there will be no spoilers in my review...just to ease your mind). I got a movie on Friday from Netflix and it was Before Sunset.

I was so excited to get this DVD. If you don't know...Before Sunset is the sequel to Before Sunrise...which was a 1995 movie about these two people who meet on a train in Vienna and spend one day together before they have to part again and go on with their lives.

Before Sunrise has been a movie that I have loved. I loved the premise of the movie...meeting someone and sharing so much with them in one day. I love how the movie was so dialogue driven...since there really was no action, except the two characters walking around. Ethan Hawke and Julie Delphy just have an amazing amount of chemistry as well...I really believed that these two could meet and have an amazingly romantic day with a perfect stranger. They were charming, they were awkward...they were just very real. Before Sunrise is just a gem of a movie.

So, Before Sunset is the follow up to this movie...it tells the story of the two characters meeting again about ten years later and see how they have changed and what that one day many years ago meant to them. Ethan's character has come to Paris to promote his book that he has written...which of course is about that one day with Julie's character. She shows up...since she lives in Paris and they see each other again for the first time in almost 10 years. This time, they only have a couple of hours together since Ethan's character needs to catch a plane that evening...at sunset of course.

I did love it...I thought it was the perfect update to their story. It showed how people change and in many ways how they stay the same...and how one moment can impact someone more than you ever imagined. Hawke and Delphy still have great chemistry...their dialogue just seems so natural and that is crucial with a film like this. Another thing I loved about the film is that it was filmed in real time. We got to see the couple of hours they had together...as just that. It really brought you into their emotions and the aspect of the film.

The only detractor...was Ethan himself. Can someone buy him a sandwich??? I'm serious...that boy is getting thinner with each day and well, it's not a good thing. Buy the boy a meal!

Alright...I am off to enjoy my Saturday. ta ta for now...