Friday, November 12, 2004

Scott Peterson found guilty

Scott Peterson was just found guilty for the murder of his wife Laci and his unborn child, who would have been named Connor. I hadn't really been following this court case, but I will say...I am surprised by the jury result.

I am not surprised because I didn't think he did it. I am not sure if he did it, but I am more likely to think he did than I am to think he didn't do it. There seemed to be so many things that were just pathological about Scott Peterson....how easily he lied, etc. How he manipulated the people around him.

I am surprised because the case was in essence weak against him....legally. It seems riveting to the people watching at home, but in a court of law...the DA didn't have a lot to go on. All the evidence was circumstancial. There was no murder weapon. There was nothing concrete connecting Scott to the crime. You know...I think if Scott hadn't of done so many interviews when he was "looking" for Laci, he might have been found not guilty. They used those tapes...and the testimony of his girlfriend...to show how he was blatantly lying and pathological with his manipulations. Without those...I don't think that smoking gun would have been there for a jury to find him guilty.

And now they have to sentence him. Because he was convicted of first degree murder, there is a possibility of the death penalty. I won't get into the debate here...but I am devotely against the death penalty. I know that sense of brutal and seemingly justified vengeance wants to have someone like Peterson taken off the planet...but I have to believe that a more cruel punishment for someone like Scott would be to live his whole life in prison...to live with what he did...to live behind bars without that freedom he was looking for when he ended Laci's life...to leave him behind bars knowing that he was caught and he was beaten. I think that is the much more cruel and fitting punishment for someone like Scott Peterson.

and yes, it does creep me out how much he and Benji Affleck have a likeness to one another! Ick. Hasn't Ben suffered enough? *smirks*