Thursday, November 18, 2004

Theatre Thursday Week 26

It's early, but it is still Theatre Thursday and all...so I thought I would get this one in before I headed to work for the day. I personally love this week's questions...it reminded me of the craft of film making, not just the end result.

Week 26 - So Tell Me Why....

We've all watched films and wondered why an actor or director did a scene in a certain way, or what was going through their minds when they shot a particular sequence. Now here's your chance to ask them!

1) What question(s) would you ask any actor (past or present) about their film work?

I would have a conversation with Ed Norton about his role of Derek in American History X. AHX is one of my favorite films...for so many reasons, including Ed's performance. I would talk with him...about how he prepared for the role. But I would get even more specific, I would ask him about his process of getting inside the head of someone with such hatred and prejudice. I would love to hear him talk about the process of connecting with that character...because it was so real, so raw, but also had such humanity. Be played all the angles of the character, not just the black and white elements, but the many shades of gray. It intrigues me...much like everything else in that film.

2) What question(s) would you ask any filmmaker (director, producer - past or present) about their film work?
I would talk with Linda Yellen. I am sure you are asking yourself who that person is...since most people don't know who she is. She made films such as Parallel Lives and Chantilly Lace. Chantilly Lace is another one of my favorite films. Yellen writes, directs and produces many of her projects....and she has an interesting way of working. She writes a script, but it is only to be used as a guide. The actors are asked to improvise each scene and play out each situation as they believe their character would. The process of her films...I find so engaging. So, I would ask her why she does this? What is her motivation? I would like to also hear why she thinks this process, which I am assuming is much more time consuming...is the avenue that she chooses?

3) What question(s) would you ask any other person on a movie crew (costumer, composer, special effects wizard, best boy) about their film work?
Hmm, for this one...I would ask a compuser how the come to create music for a screenplay. What is their process? Is it driven from the characters or the action or both? I am always drawn in by the music in a film...not the pop songs, but the score, so I would love to hear how it is created...from the words on the page.

BONUS LITERARY QUESTION) What would you ask any author (past or present) about their writing or body of work?
Books? What are these things you speak of? *giggles* Just kidding! Well, I will connect it back to movies...since this is Theatre Thursday and all. I would ask authors like Michael Crichton and John Grisham...if they write novels expecting them to be made into movies. It seems like each novel they write turns into a film before time, so I wonder if the prospect of it becoming a movie effects how they write.

NOTE: Any questions containing the words, "Ewok, "Jar Jar", or "Greedo" will not be accepted, for they have no possible answers.