Wednesday, May 19, 2004

UJ: a job should never just be a paycheck

I am at work and bored out of my mind right now, so I thought I would post some random thoughts from that pretty little head of mine.

Yep, it's quiet as can be here...which is usually surprising for a Wednesday morning/afternoon. I had to be here and have the place open at 8am, so it meant actually being here at 7:30ish...and as soon as I get in, who calls? A telemarketer....we get business telemarketing calls all the time and let me tell you, if you thought the ones that called your home don't take no for an answer, well the ones that call businesses are even pushier.

They always ask for the manager or person in charge, which is me....and I have learned, I tell them to call back on Thursdays or anyday after 5pm, since on those days, I am never here. It means some lowly underpaid telemarketer is going to keep calling back and not getting me, but they seem to not understand.."I AM NOT INTERESTED!"

And yep, Shelley is seriously looking for another job. I spend a lot of time looking over the want ads...and who knows, something might come out of this. I love the organization I work with...their mission completely matches what I was set out to do, but unfortunately the program I am working with just does not work. The vision of my company gets shifted and changed because of the grant we are working under...and it is frustrating to me and the board of my organization because we see what good and impactful work could be done, if only we were allowed to.

So, since I don't see us fighting the good fight and winning...and being able to actually make a difference in lives of families in need...since we have been battling for a year and only making ourselves crazy, I am now looking to find another place where their vision and passion matches my own.

I am though...being very careful when I am looking. I know that if I don't find the *right* job for me, I will just find another one that will due...that gives me a paycheck and that just doesn't cut it for me. I need to feel that when I go to work...that the values I carry with me are also present at the job I work at. I need to be able to use my skills and talents...and to be able to be passionate about the work I do, especially when it requires long hours and small paychecks.

So, I am on the hunt...not sure what it means or what it will bring, but I can feel a difference in myself and how I see where I want my career to go. I think the time I spent at home was really valuable...it gave me some time away from my job and position to be able to really look at what I want out of a job and a career...and what I don't.

So, cross your fingers for me...and wish me luck.

Shelley