Tuesday, March 09, 2004

UJ: Martha Stewart woes

You know, Martha isn't my favorite person...I think she is smug and cocky and often so cold and unfriendly.....so, I am not one of the people that watches her television show or buys her magazine or hopes to have a "martha stewart" home.

But, I think what is happening to her is wrong. Did she break the law? Yes, she did. Did she do something wrong? Yes, she did. Does she deserve to be in a jail cell? In my opinion, no...she does not.

She got a tip and sold a stock...and saved herself about $50,000. That is equivalent of me saving 2 dollars.... And then yes, she lied about it. She tried to save her own ass...and the ass of her company. But, I think with all that is wrong with the world...she is being made an example of. I think that she made a mistake, but not one that deserves to spend a year or so of her life in prison. I think restitution would better be served to ban her from ever dealing with stock again, to have her give a large sum of money and to have probation where she could actually make a difference.

I also think of some of the stock shmucks...who aren't even close to a jail cell. Those Enron and World.com jerks...whose crimes actually did hurt people. The Enron debackle....it causes hundreds and hundreds of people to have no savings and no retirements. Those jerks...sold their stock while they put a freeze on the stockholders and employees of the company, in essence...allowing them to walk away millionaires...or billionaires....while the avergae Joe walked away with their life savings in smoke. Are they in jail? For the most of them...nope. Those people did some serious and significant damage.

I guess maybe Martha Stewart should have tried to be better and closer friends with the Pres and VP...maybe then, she would be sitting pretty like Dubya's Enron buddies.

Whoever would have thought I would have felt bad for Martha Stewart, but well...I do.

Shelley