Wednesday, February 25, 2004

UJ: interesting conversations...

Shelley's thought of the day:

So, as most people know...I worked at a family center and on most days, we offer play groups or arts and crafts activities...which are a lot of fun...and it also gives me an opportunity to chit chat with the parents.

Today...we had a play group and we ended up having a really interesting conversation with one of the moms. She is African American...probably in her early 30s and has two adorable children!

Anyways...we started talking about race and how racism can be everywhere. We talked about stores who without even knowing it...act racist. She mentioned that she is followed in stores...and that at a local store here, a friend of her's was not allowed to try on lingerie, while white shoppers were.

We had a really nice discussion....and when the mom left...kids in tow, she mentioned she liked coming because she doesn't get to have adult conversations many places other than here. It is amazing that once you have kids...all your conversations are about them or in baby talk.

I thought about it for a moment or two...and I really enjoyed the conversation as well. I remember when I was running racial studies circles in grad school...and then when I was in college, it was not easy talking about race with mixed races. I had that white girl disorder of being too afraid of saying something wrong...and being seen as racist. I didn't feel that way today...and probably haven't for years. I know who I am...and what I believe. I also am really interesting in talking with people who are different than I am....and I no longer fear it.

Anyways...I imagine I got more out of the conversation that the mom even realizes.

Shelley