Tuesday, February 24, 2004

UJ: Howard Dean and Ralph Nader

I think it took me almost a week before I could write down that Howard Dean dropped out of the race. I feel like it was the right thing for him to do since I felt it would start to become irresponsible for him to continue to spend the American people's donations...in a campaign that didn't seem to be going anywhere.

But, I am so saddened...I don't think I have ever been as hopeful and optimistic about this country...as I was when I invisioned Howard Dean as the leader of this nation. I saw the amazing things he did in Vermont...and how he treated the people of his state. I saw the issues of education, health care and women's rights...and how Dean not only campaigned on those issues, but made changes in his state to reflect the values he felt was important to his state. He doesn't just talk the talk...he walks the walk.

But even beyond his record and my incredible respect for what he has done, I was inspired by the way he handled his campaign. His campaign was not really about him...it was about the american people. He made the point...that he is not the man to change the country, but it is the AMERICAN PEOPLE who will change the country. He talked about how politics today works to take the power away from the american people...and how he wants to restore the nation to being run BY the people and FOR the people. He spoke of how millionaires and lobbyist control our government, how money and prestige buy our policies and laws....and how he adamently disagreed with that. He chanted "You have the power" to the supporters at his events....proclaiming how they will change this election and this country, if they only use their voice and power.

I was so inspired by Howard Dean...and now, I am quite disillusioned. I will most likely support whichever Democratic candidate comes out on top, but in all honesty...I won't be passionate about it. My passion still lies with Howard Dean, so for me...now the race is about selecting the better of two evils...and of course John Kerry or John Edwards...both of them are a far better choice than Dubya. But, none of them are even in Howard Dean's league. And no matter what...I am proud of Howard. He came in a huge underdog...and left without winning a single state, BUT...he changed this election. He got candidates talking about issues and challenging the current administration and policies....something that never would have happened without his daring presence.

And now...onto the new revelation from Ralph Nader. Grrr....Ralph is now choosing to run for President AGAIN! Nader was on Meet the Press this Sunday...talking about how the candidates were so alike and that he wanted the American people to select a different kind of candidate. So, now...he is throwing his hat in the ring again.

Now...democrats are scared...well, some of them are. They have encouraged Raplh to not run, so that he won't be a "spoiler" in the election again. And...they have some valid points. In states like Florida for example, those who voted for Nader...would have most likely voted for Gore over Bush...and if that happened, Dubya would be back on the oil fields in Texas and Gore would have been our next President.

But, I don't critique Nader for running...or for trying to change party politics...I just wish he did it in a better way. I will go back to my lovefest for Howard Dean a little bit. Many of the things that Nader feels are lacking in party politics...were things that Dean embodied. Why didn't Raplh...instead of running, why didn't he come forward in support of Dean months ago??? I agree with many...that Nader seems like an angry man with an inflated ego. I think his decision to join the race isn't about the American People...it's about him.

All in all though...I don't care too much that Nader is running. I don't think he will have the success he had in 2000...and I think that his presence won't make much of a difference.

Here are a few articles on my above ramblings...if you would like:

Howard Dean quitting presidential race:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=1963&e=4&u=/afp/20040218/ts_alt_afp/us_vote&sid=96378801

Ralph Nader running for President:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4312689/

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=6&u=/ap/20040223/ap_on_el_pr/nader_3

Happy Reading,

Shelley