Monday, June 23, 2003

UJ: wedding galore....

This weekend was our friends' wedding....and it was beautiful. I feel so lucky and honored that I was asked to attend. The bride I met through grad school....and her maid of honor is also one of my best friends from grad school. Because I was such good friends with the wedding party and because another friend was coming up early to take candid shots of the wedding party getting ready and such, I was there early....and ended up helping a lot with the "getting ready" stuff.

That to me...was such a gift. I was able to be a part of someone getting ready for the most important day of her life. I was also...not to brag, quite good at it. There were a lot of little things that still needed to be done and when we arrived it looked like all the odds and ends were getting to the bride. She was a tad frazzled and also seemed genuinely concerned that so many things needed to get done. I was happy to jump in....and I worked hard. I put together most of the flower arrangements for the table settings. I also ran errands for both the bride and the groom.,....and just tried the best I could to make things easier for both of them. I think someone asked me if I minded throughout the day...and I didn't. I actually enjoyed it.....in a small way, it was probably the best wedding gift I could have given them...my time.

And the wedding was beautiful....with all weddings there were small things, like the cake not being right and one of the junior bridesmaids got too hot under the stage lights and passed out during the ceremony. But those aren't the things that make an impression...at least not for me. I watched as two people I truly adore said their vows to one another....and then saw them all night just so in love with one another. I couldn't be happier for them. And at the reception...the party really begun. We danced, we laughed....we even cried a little. And the groom's family...wow...they are spunky and fun and boy do they know how to party! I thought the day was just amazing.....

And then at night, a few of us headed off to the hotel and rejoined the bride and groom there. We sat with them until the wee hours of the morning and they opened presents with their family (I know...you'd think that wouldn't be what they wanted to do on their honeymoon...but in actuality, the bride couldn't wait to get to her presents and to be able to open them in front of people she loved!). They sat together in a chair and were the same couple that I knew a day before.....and reveled in the long line of gifts that were wonderful, but also showed in dramatic form all the people who love and care for them...and wish them well.

I felt very blessed that I could share this day with them from beginning to end....it really was a gift. Not many people who are not in the wedding party get to experience that...and it was wonderful. They are off now....to their honeymoon in Hawaii....and I can't wait til they get home and can tell us all about it!

Their wedding reminded me of many things...but the most was of my friend's wedding where I was her maid of honor. I haven't spoken to her in a while...and I think I will have to correct that! I remembered spending the day with her much like this...and am saddened that I am so far away. I am not the best about keeping in touch...especially when there is so much distance.

Much love to all those in my life....