Friday, January 24, 2003

UJ: cold....cold....did I mention it is cold?

It is bitterly cold out there! This morning is was -5 degrees outside and they say it should only reach a high of something like 7 degrees! How insane is that? I can't ever remember it being this cold and it is times like this that I am happy that Shalom can be a place where people can find a warm place to be.

I have worried a lot in the past few days about the guests I know at Shalom who are sleeping out. It is dangerous to be outside right now for anything more than 5 or 10 minutes and these individuals are sleeping outside. We have worked hard getting extra blankets and sleeping bags, but I know that is only making a small dent. It has been so cold here that they have been cancelling or delaying school around here because it was considered too dangerous for children to be waiting by the school bus.....and we know of people sleeping outside with a flimsy sleeping bag and no gloves. In moments like this...I am enraged, disheartened and also confirmed that I am working in the right field.

I have written about work since I got back from vacation...and that is mainly because I have been super busy! I got back from vacation and before I even had a chance to recover from the gastly flu, I was back at work. At first I was a little aprehensive, since I wasn't exactly sure I knew *how* to do my new job....but so far, it has been a very exciting process.

I am now the director for our new family resource center...but at the same time I am still doing my old job, which is being the assistant director at the Shalom Community Center. So, I started out wearing two hats...and trying to juggle both responsibilities. But..in all honesty, it isn't a hardship, it is a gift. I love being at the community center, so it has been nice to be able to do many of my administrative family center stuff from the community center. I haven't felt as pulled away as I thought I would.

And about the new job...so far, I am loving it. I have been able to be a part of so many new things. We are truly designing a new center, which means I get to be able to bring my dreams and passions to the place instead of just having to meld to what is already there. I have also met the other two directors...who are wonderful women. Quickly we have already become quite a close knit team....and I was happy to see that happen, since I know it will be needed for the centers to be successful.

I have also been involved in the hiring process...for the employees who will be assisting us both at the center and by making home visits. This has been a real interesting experience for me since I have never been on a hiring committee before. I have interviewed and been hired for many jobs, but this is the first time I am involved in making that decision. It is interesting on so many levels...one, to see what kind of impressions a candidate makes to an employer and seeing what things really matter. Also, seeing how many qualified candidates there are for every position. There were some amazingly qualified candidates who may not get the job....because the field was so strong. Is that fair? maybe not, but it is how the world and the job market works. So...watching all that and being a part of it made an impression on me. And made me lucky that I found the opportunities that I did.

And now...off to eat lunch and get myself back to work. So many things to do...so little time to do it.