Saturday, January 18, 2003

UJ: playing catch-up!

Hmm, it has been a while since I updated my journal. I am back from New York and for the most part, my vacation went really well.

The flight home was mainly uneventful....except that I was flying one way and so I was searching an additional time, which I expected so I didn't mind. It seemed like a long flight though, so I was happy to see my dad at the airport when I got to Albany!

We had our own version of Christmas on Sunday. We went to church, which was quite special to me. Our pastor is leaving the church so this was the last time I was able to see him lead the service. He is such an amazing man and probably one of the sole reasons I am still connected to religion and the church. I will be sad to know he has moved on to another congregation even though I rarely ever am home and able to go to church.

Then...when we all got home we opened our stocking and presents. It was really nice...spending time with the family. And, I got some really nice stuff. I got a DVD player, which I was expecting...and a digital camera, which I was NOT expecting. It was such a wonderful surprise. I also got a lot of things to use in the kitchen...pots, pans, cookie sheets, etc. It was a very nice Christmas and even though I told my parents I wanted it to be small...they were very generous with me.

I also got to go to Vermont and see friends there, which was a highlight of the trip. I headed to VT on Wednesday and spent the day with my friend Nicole. I haven't seen her for about a year...but it didn't matter....we immediately fell back into the wonderful friendship that we had before. I *know* she is one of the friends I will have in my life forever. The sad part is, everytime I see her...I am reminded at how far away from Vermont I am. I would love to live closer to her and be able to hang out with her like we did in college. Let's just say she is VERY missed! I never laugh as hard as I do when I am with Nicole....what a great friend.

Nicole and I also saw our friend Jen. Jen and I have been friends since my freshman year in college. I was the maid of honor in her wedding...and I hadn't been able to see her in a couple of years. Because of all of our schedules, we were only able to get together for dessert and quickly catch up, but it was great seeing her. She seems to be so happy now...and she and her husband both seem to be doing things that she enjoys. I also wish I was closer to her...and it reminded me to keep in better contact. Gosh, I was such a lucky kid in college since I found some amazing amazing friends....

So...I headed back to NY on Thursday and that is when the drama began. I got home to learn that when my brother was trying to pick my mom up from the hospital, his car got stuck in a snowbank and when trying to get it out...he damaged the door of his car. And this was important, because he was supposed to drive me back to Indiana on Friday. So, we hoped our mechanic could fix it, but nope..it needed to be sent to a body shop. So, my brother went back to Buffalo without me...and then it was decided that my dad would drive me back to Indiana. Sounds like a plan, eh?

Well...not quite! On Friday morning he woke up with the flu....he was in bed all day long and seemed quite ill. So...new plan! We called and rented me a car so I could drive myself back on Saturday. We got a one way rental and even went and picked it up....sounds like a winner of a plan, eh? Well...on Saturday, I woke up and had the flu too! *grumbles* But stupidly, I thought I would be fine to drive 13 hours to Indiana and left at 2:30am anyways! So...two hours into the trip, I get quite ill again (which I am sure you don't need to hear about). I call my parents...whine and cry for a bit and then we decide the best option is for me to turn around and drive home.

So...to make an already too long story shorter, I came home...slept ALL day on Saturday and then turned around and drove to Indiana on Sunday. Good god....how difficult could it be for someone to get themselves home from vacation! I will say...I drove really fast getting to Indiana...and luckily did not get a ticket. I made the trip that is supposed to be 13 hours in about 11.5....so, you could say I used my little lead foot!

So...that is the highlights...good and bad...of my trip home. Overall...I had a great time...cept that pesky flu!

Shelley

P.S. More to come on my first week back at work at Shalom....