Sunday, May 31, 2009

Movie Review: Yes Man

I have two main observations about the movie Yes Man...and that's it.

Observation #1: The movie has a great, funny cast.

I know Jim Carrey annoys some. I am not one of them. The guy can bring the funny. I also liked that it wasn't just joke after joke after joke. Carrey actually told us a story while we laughed along with him.

Bradley Cooper. Me likey. I've been a fan of Bradley's since his Alias days. You know, when he was Will Tippen, the schlub hopelessly in love with Sydney Bristow. He's funny too. I thought he was a great choice to play the best friend to hopeless Jim Carrey.

Zooey Deschanel. She is playing Carrey's quirky love interest. Love her. I basically love the whole Deschanel family, even those I don't even know. She's adorable cute and always looks like she is 12 years old. She has a great sense of humor and wit. Her sarcasm is engaging. Plus, she gets to sing in the movie and I have been in love with Zooey's voice since she was singing in the shower in Elf.

Danny Masterson. He plays one of Carrey's friends. Who doesn't love Hyde? He amused me in this movie. He basically plays the same character, but if it ain't broke...don't fix it. Plus, I loved bearded Hyde, so the look in the film....me likey.

John Michael Higgins. Don't know who he is? Click on the link and then you'll go...oh, that guy. He's hilarious. He's been in Fred Claus, The Break Up, Walk Hard...and don't forget, he was in the hilarious Arrested Development. He didn't have a huge part, but I was chuckling the whole time he was on screen.

And last, but definitely not least:

Rhys Darby. Don't know who he is? Well...then you don't watch Flight of the Conchords. And if you don't watch Flight of the Conchords....you really should. One of the funniest, quirkiest shows on tv right now. Rhys plays the "band manager" Murray in the show and his comic timing in the show is spot on. In the movie, he plays Carrey's boss at the bank. His comic genius continues in the movie as well...he is willing to do whatever it takes to bring the funny. Plus, he dresses up like Harry Potter characters and wears funny glasses. How can that not be funny?

Ok, so observation #1 was kind of long.

Observation #2: I had initially hated this movie on sight. I planned on writing a review about how I had already seen this movie and it's name is Liar, Liar. Well, I learned that you should probably watch a movie before judging it...and writing its review in your head. Yes, the 2 movies have similarities...they both star Jim Carrey and they both require the lead characters to change their behavior, but that is where it ends.

This movie was really different. In Yes Man, Jim Carrey says YES, not because he is under a spell, but because he makes the choice to. He can say NO, he just believes that saying yes will make his life better. And two, Yes Man has a lot more heart and story. The movie has some really nice dramatic moments...where they look at the consequences of hiding from your life out of fear.

My advice...say YES when asking if you should rent Yes Man.