Monday, March 30, 2009

a rainy, gloomy Monday...

It's a rainy Monday morning here in Upstate, NY. It's one of those days when you just wanna call in "gloomy", stay in your PJs and just lounge under the covers in bed. I didn't...I was a good little girl and went to work, but I didn't want to. LOL

I haven't updated on my health/weight loss goals and what not lately. I think that part of that is quite intentional. If you've been reading my blog for any length of time...you know that it is basically ALL I talked about last year while I was losing weight. Seriously? It's as if it was the only important thing to report in my life....and in what way is that any kind of good?

After I lost a bajillion million pounds...and settled into the "healthy" world...I got a little too comfortable...too cocky and low and behold, I gained some weight back. SHOCKING...I know. I stopped fitting into some clothes and stopped feeling good about how I looked...even though I was still light years away from the unhealthy that I was a couple of years ago.

So, since about February I decided to get back on the healthy train. I needed to recommit to working out...and just being more mindful of what I put into my mouth. I didn't need to obsess about it or do any kind of dramatic weight loss plan...just not decide that eating a bag of M&Ms is a good dinner choice, ya know?

so far...so good. I've gotten back to working out a good 4-5 days a week. My elliptical and I are back to a healthy relationship. (I am SO happy I bought it...it's made all the difference in the world). I also plan ahead what I am going to eat. I still eat a large variety of food...and it all tastes pretty yummy...it just no longer is candy and chips and a pint of ice cream.

I'm also looking at some of the mental mind fucks that my last diet did to me...and working on correcting it. Example #1: I often consider fruit to be unhealthy or off limits almost instinctually. Really? Seriously? In what world is fruit unhealthy or something that should be avoided? Well, in a low carb world. So, I tend to gravitate towards veggies and neglect my fruit friends. I am working on adding in fresh and frozen fruits into my diet. Let's face is...no one gains weight or gets fat because they ate too many bananas. lol Example #2: When I look at the nutritional labels, I immediately look at the carbs in it first. Another side effect of counting carbs and doing a low carb plan. Carbs are not the devil and are not evil. Certain types of carbs are to be avoided...simple sugars and refined carbs. Carbs are good though. They are fuel. I still need to keep an eye on my carbs because I am a vegetarian and so I can easily eat 95% of my calories from carbs...and end up not getting enough protein, but at the same time...I need to stop seeing carbs as the enemy. When I pick carbs...I just need to pick the right ones.

In terms of weight loss, I am doing well. I'm losing on average about 2 lbs per week. I want to lose I think about 20 lbs. This time, I don't care as much about the weight. I want to fit back into a pair of pants and a couple of shirts. Once I get there...who cares what the number is on the scale...I'm done, I'm there. ta da!

I'd also like to get back to street jogging. I'm rocking the elliptical, but haven't braved the outside and the elements yet this year. I missed a race in March because I wasn't ready for it...which made me sad. But, I also know there are more events and races coming up in the spring/summer. I just need to convince my booty to get outside and get jogging. The weather is warming up...so the time is a comin'!

Happy gloomy Monday folks!! Enjoy the day...