Wednesday, March 18, 2009

WBC and banned substances

I've been watching the World Baseball Classic. At first, I didn't think I was incredibly interested, but the games have actually kept my attention.

First off...congrats for Team USA for coming from behind in the bottom of the 9th to beat Team Puerto Rico and advance in the competition. I was actually on the edge of my seat..and that isn't supposed to happen when watching baseball games in March. So...you go Team USA. Rock on with your bad selves.

But what I really wanted to talk about is something one of the commentators said during the game last night. One of the pitchers for the Puerto Rican team, JC Romero was in the game last night. He's currently on the Phillies roster.

So, why is that interesting? Well...on opening day, Romero won't be able to pitch for his team. He'll be sitting on the bench in Philly. Why? Because he tested positive for a banned substance. He has been suspended for 50 days from opening day. He says it is for something that was in an over the counter supplement that he bought from GNC. But honestly, I don't care...these athletes should know what is in things they are taking and what they can and cannot have. He tested dirty...case closed.

So, the guy tested dirty for a performance enhancing drug and therefore has been banned from the MLB for 50 days...but he can pitch in the WBC.

I call BULL to the SHIT on that. I think if you can't play in the MLB...you shouldn't be able to play in an international competition.

Not right. Just NOT RIGHT.

P.S. And since this is all about the WBC...it was just announced that the last remaining Red Sox competiting, Kevin Youkilis, is out of the competition. He sprained/hurt his ankle and is heading back to the Red Sox to get it checked out and get treatment. Youkilis is in a long list of players from Team USA who have had to step down due to injury. Sheesh. Maybe the team is cursed.