Sunday, February 25, 2007

The Ultimate Gift



Hey everybody...you all know how much I LOVE movies (hence the previous Oscar post), so I thought I would post about this upcoming movie, The Ultimate Gift. I wrote in my last entry that I wanted Little Miss Sunshine to win for the Oscar and of course, I adored Abigial Breslin as the little girl in it. Well Abigial is in The Ultimate Gift as well.

This is the official site of the movie "The Ultimate Gift" and the grass-roots movement its starting to help charities and give to others. The Ultimate Gift stars Abigial Breslin (cutey patootey that she is), James Garner, Ali Hillis, Drew Fuller and the ever so talented Brian Dennehy. It is coming out on March 9th. Check out a sneak peek of it here. Like most movies...it is based on a book of the same name. It's about a guy who is expecting his inheritance to be money and lots of it, but in the end he learns that it is so much more. Instead of money the main character is given 12 tasks which help him experience the important things/lessons in life. The main message of the movie is "the only way you can truly get more out of life for yourself is to give part of yourself away." I think that is such a beautiful message. I love movies that have message...that entertain while at the same time call people to action or change. The message of this movie reminds me a lot of Pay It Forward and how the movie called people to look for little ways to make the world a better place.

Media reports have said that in 300 or so pre-screenings they have had...people have donated over $5 million dollars to charity. I think it says a lot about the movie that it is calling people to donate in that manner. They have also said that schools are incorporating the message into their classrooms, etc...much like what happened when Pay It Forward came out. There is even a teen based philanthropic organization that has started as a result of the movie. That's pretty amazing for a movie that has not even opened yet.

Of course...a movie that seeks to raise money and awareness doesn't have the advertising budget of a huge blockbuster, but it is still opening to some 800 theatres on the 9th. I hope it will be successful and open to many more if it takes off. I like the huge hits like everyone else, but over the last few years..the small independent movies have just hit so much closer to home. I never see movies in the theatre anymore (because I am so gosh darn cheap), but if this one is showing near me...I think I will definitely check it out.

You know when I was thinking about this movie...I couldn't help thinking of how I came to be a social worker. The message of the movie is something I wholeheartedly agree with. I think that we can't truly grow and gain the lessons we need to without giving of ourselves. Now, do I mean money???...not really. I know that when I have humbled myself and truly gave myself to people and causes I believed in...that my life became so much richer and fuller. I know that the years I spent in college in the soup kitchens in Washington DC were some of the best experiences of my life. I helped people and gave of my time, hospitality and charm...and I am more grateful for those experiences than the people I have ever helped. I can vividly remember some of the conversations I have had with homeless neighbors along my path, even if some of those conversations happened over 10 years ago. I truly felt blessed for every moment I spent in that place. The people who came there for food, shelter and warmth would often thank us for helping, but in all honesty...I was the one who was thankful. I feel like I got my calling when I walked in those doors. As cheesy as it sounds...being there felt like home...it felt like what I was supposed to do with my life. I know that I wouldn't have chosen the career or the life I have without it. I just think that if we gave more...especially in this country of riches..that in essence we would be a richer country. *sighs*

Check it out if you can and let me know what you think. Anyways...this movie looks fabulous and I cannot wait to see it.



Labels: