Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Biggest Loser Survey

Hey y'all....I am in my new apartment. We don't get cable until Friday, so I am hurting until them, but other than that...I am enjoying the new shindigs.

So, I imagine you are wondering what that subject line is all about. I filled out this survey online for The Biggest Loser. It was for a school study on people's perceptions of reality tv makeover shows. Anyways...the woman who made the study, she emailed me and asked if she could interview me. So, she called last night and interviewed me for about a half an hour about my thoughts on the Biggest Loser. I thought it was pretty cool...but also felt like an uber, computer geek. I was in my new apartment with my new roommate when she called...and I had to go into my room to do the interview because I just felt like such a dork.

What did I say? Ummm...a lot of things. But in general I said that I thought it was an entertaining show, but not necessarily an education one for the average viewer at home. I said that because of how the show is set up...there isn't a lot that the person at home, working a full time job, eating normal food can take with them and apply in their life. I think Celebrity Fit Club is actually much more educational for the at-home viewer. CFB shows people dieting and living a healthier lifestyle...while still living their normal lives at home.

My other beef with The Biggest Loser is how fast they lose weight. I watch the show, but on a few occasions I have almost decided to abandon it because of it. I think that a show where people lose 10-15-20 pounds a week is a really bad and even damaging image to show on tv. Also, I have heard numerous times that a healthy lose each week is between one and two pounds....and then we hear people on Biggest Loser saying things like, "I suck..I only lost 5 pounds this week." Really...did you just hear yourself? You lost 5 pounds in one week. So, I think that someone at home who is working out and eating right...and losing 2 pounds a week may end of feeling like a failure if they watch and really buy into what Biggest Loser is selling. That's another really why I like Celebrity Fit Club. On Fit Club the weight loss goal is usually not more than 5 pounds...over a 2 week period.

Anyways...so, I got interviewed...and who knows...maybe the world will be changed because of my comments about The Biggest Loser. ha ha!