Tuesday, April 05, 2005

differences...

I was talking to the manager at the video store the other night..who I adore. Shannon's just a fun, saucy gal...which makes work a lot of fun...when in reality a second job could be really draining.

We were talking about differences...especially in terms of politics. It shouldn't be a shock to any of y'all that I am quite the democrat. I have often said I was born a democrat, etc. The democrat ideals and values are just so closely aligned with what I believe. My point is...my boss...is a Republican and the way I describe myself as a democrat is probably the way she would describe herself as a Republican. It's just a core part of who she is.

What frustrates me...is when people can't seem to look beyong philosophical differences. I don't personally agree with her politics...but I really respect her as a person and love to be in her company. I don't know why people have such a hard time with that. I don't know why people have to make it into an "us" verses "them" thing...instead of looking for all that greyness in the middle.

I know that Shannon celebrated when Bush won the election in November...when I cried. But you know what, that's okay. In fact, I think it is healthy. I always look to have different people around me. Wouldn't the world be a boring, boring place if everyone all around you thought the exact same way.

I listen to Shannon's viewpoints...I long to understand them, in a view that most people really don't understand. One some very core issues, I will never agree...but once again, that's ok. Shannon and I might in some instances be standing across from one another at a demostration or picket line...but we can also be sitting next to one another, sharing a beer and a laugh. It's those kind of things...I wish we were better at...finding the understanding and the compassion.

Anyways...that's my random "can't we all just get along" thought for the day.