Wednesday, December 15, 2004

I'm losing my patience with The Biggest Loser!

I am feeling better...happy to say. I still have a lingering cough, but I think this cold is finally letting go. And now I am going to go hop into bed,....since it is freezing in my neck of the wood. You know it is freezing cold when just running out to your car to get something makes your hands hurt.

Last night...I was watching TV while chatting online with a friend...and we were talking about how I was watching The Biggest Loser. If you don't know...it's that reality show on NBC about a group of people who need to lose weight. I started watching...just to see how real it was going to be...and didn't like it from the beginning, but kept watching each week...in hopes that it would get better.

Yep...the people are losing weight, but I just loathe the premise of the show. The show says it is all about showing people how to live healthy lives...but it just doesn't seem to be living up to that. People are losing 5+ pounds a week...which seems great, but it just isn't natural and healthy. And then you hear the contestants complaining and even crying if they only lose 3 pounds in a given week...when that is in the completely normal range. I just worry that "normal folk" out there who are trying to lose weight...will see this show and then see themselves not losing 13 pounds in one week...and lose hope. So, in many ways...I see the show as irresponsible.

And secondly...I loathe the show because it is like every other reality show out there...where it is about the drama and not about helping people lose weight. The person who is crowned "The Biggest Loser" in the end...also wins a million dollars....and each week the group needs to vote off a member from the show. So...now that it is getting to the end...people are voting off the people they are threatened by...and alliances are being formed. It just seems really cheap...and kind of pathetic. The people working out the most and following the plan...should be the ones allowed to stay, not the most manipulative, controlling ones....or better yet, everyone should be able stay the whole time in hopes of changing their lifestyle.

But I guess in terms of reality TV...that would be boring.

Tomorrow I have another day long training...but hopefully no unwelcomed passengers on the way home!

Ta ta!