Thursday, October 21, 2004

Theatre Thursday Week 22

It's Thursday...so it time for a little Theatre Thursday action. Here goes!

Week 22 - The President of the United States

Well, the US presidential election is almost here. Through cinematic history, there've been a number of movies where the POTUS has been a major or featured character - The American President, Air Force One, Independence Day, just to name a few recent ones.


1) Which fictional movie president would you most like to see sitting in the White House?
Well, I think the President in Independence Day. He was heartfelt and heroic....and he also was willing to make whatever sacrifices in order to keep not only the country, but the nation safe. Every time I hear Bill Pullman's speech as President in the movie...I get quite moved.

"We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on! We're going to survive! Today we celebrate our Independence Day!"

2) Do you think the movies accurately portray the circumstances surrounding the life of the US President?
No, not at all. I think that they show caricatures of what it might be to be President, but it shows major exaggerations. It shows the President as either a walking hero....or as the devil himself. One time, I thought they actually might show the shades of grey and how conflicted each decision might be for the President was in The Sum of All Fears. It showed how every decision needs to be the right one and how much pressure there is on the position. Yes, it's an Affleck movie...get off my back people! *giggles*

3) A number of TV shows recently have featured the POTUS as a main character (The West Wing, 24). Would you accept any of them as the real US President?
I don't watch The West Wing...even though I have been told I should. I imagine that Martin Sheen is a President I would respect...just because I respect Sheen so much and I can't imagine him playing a political icon in any other manner. But, I do know a lot about President David Palmer. I have often said...I long for a President like David Palmer. He is flawed, but he is honorable. He said that if the President didn't trust the American people with the truth, he didn't deserve to be President. Of course, in the history of 24...we also see Palmer's demise. I have often said that Palmer's honor and virture are tainted by the political process. Only those who can play the game survive. So, souls like Palmer...in reality, don't have a chance in our current political system. Sad, but true. I still long for a President with the virtue of a David Palmer though...

BONUS) What actor (or actress!) would you like to get the chance to play a US President on screen?
I would like to see someone like Denzel Washington playing the President. And I would love to see a woman playing President...but it just seems like the nation isn't even able to see a woman president...in make believe.