Wednesday, October 20, 2004

The Biggest Loser *grumbles*

OK, I have a complaint...not a huge complaint, but a complaint none the less. Reality TV is everywhere...and sometimes I have crap taste in TV and I watch it.

So, last night was the premiere of the newest reality TV show, "The Biggest Loser" on NBC. It is a show with 12 people who desperately want to lose weight. They are put on two different teams, they meet with a trainer and have challenges. At the end of each week, each team weighs in and the team with the lowest amount of weight loss will have to vote off a team member.

First of all...let's mention what I like about this show. There are a couple of things. One, unlike the other shows...people are changing their bodies and looks through diet and exercise...not through plastic surgery. Shows like Extreme Makeover make me ill...and at least this show isn't one of them. Two, it shows an example of diet and exercise and how hard it can be. It also shows just how driven those who are fat can be...instead of that lazy stereotype that is out there.

But, I have issues with this show and they are as follows:

1. At the end of the first week...the weigh ins were concerning to me. People seemed to be losing WAY too much weight. Someone lost 20 pounds in one week. The person who lost the least...lost 3 pounds. First of all, it is impossible to lose 20 pounds of fat in one week...and it really is unhealthy. If that much weight is lost, only a small amount of it is actually fat. It means that person lost a lot of water weight...and most likely muscle mass. Is that better to lose a bunch of muscle...as long as you win? Two...the people who lost close to a healthy amount of weight...were made to feel like failures. The girl who was voted off...she lost SIX pounds in one week. Another girl only lost 3 pounds, but that was the only person who lost weight in the healthy range. I know that people lose more in the first weeks of a program, but I will be interested and concerned to see if the amount of weight loss continues at this level. I don't like the image that it is sending to the millions of americans out there who are trying to lose weight...sending the image that you are a failure unless you lose 10+ pounds in your first week. Ugh.

2. My second issue is about voting people off. Why do it? It seems to directly contradict the point of this show...helping people learn how to live a more healthy lifestyle. The person voted off only got one week of that lesson. Yes, this is a contest...and only one person can win the $250,000...but there could be better ways. I wish that they allowed all 12 people to stay the whole time...and to make the changes that they wanted to. They could have the audience vote for who they think deserves the reward at the end, etc. It disappoints me...and let's me know it is more about reality tv drama than actually helping people with their weight related issues.

So, I am not overly impressed with this show. I might keep watching...mainly out of general and gross curiousity. I have issues with it...the message it is sending and how it is willing to use people desperate to make changes in their life as pawns in their reality series.

Anyone else see it??? Am I completely off base here?