Thursday, March 25, 2004

UJ: Jersey Girl

So, this friday...Jersey Girl is opening. It's Kevin Smith's new movie...and I can't help being excited.

I usually never pay full price to go see a movie...it is just something I have a real hard time spending all that money on a movie. It seems like such a waste.

But, I am seriously considering going to a Jersey Girl matinee this weekend. There is something about Kevin Smith...and his films...that just draw me in. I think he is one of the best film makers in the business...even though he tends to not want to believe that. His movies make me laugh like no other...and maybe just for the laughs and such, it's worth the high ticket price.

Plus...well, Shelley might think that Benji is quite hot...so, a movie with his mug in it...ain't all bad!

I am excited to get a new Kevin Smith film though...since he hasn't made one in a while. It's going to be a different kind of film...from what he has said and the advance word on the film. It's much more sentimental than any of his other films...which has some fans getting all uppity, but for me...it's a good thing. It shows some of the differences in Kevin's life...and how he is bringing that to the screen. It also shows that Kevin is willing and able to take a risk...and not just coast on the fan base and love of the Jay and Silent Bob movies.

I think that this movie won't do well in the theatres...one, because Kevin's film usually don't. He makes really unique films...which I think makes them fabulous, but that usually don't mean high box offices. He isn't Hollywood...he's a kid from Jersey who is talented and lucky enough to get his films made. And Two...I don't think it will do extremely well because of the whole Bennifer/Gigli thing...I think people will judge that it is Gigli 2 without checking it out. Yep, Lopez is in it...for about 10 minutes...but it is definitely not Gigli 2. And three, I don't think it will do extremely well because I think that his hard core fans...those rabid kids I see over at Kev's site...won't think it is Jay and Silent Bob enough...people have been calling Kevin a sellout for a long time...and this movie has really increased it.

So...I am not expected it to be at the top of the box office, but I am anxiously anticipating this movie. I think I will love it. I doubt I will see it as a sell out. I think I will see it as another angle of Kevin's life...another story he has to tell.

And if anyone questions that Kevin is a fab story teller....rent "An Evening with Kevin Smith." It's a hilariously great DVD...and shows how Kevin can effortlessly tell a story that has you laughing in the aisles. Whenever I am in a bad mood...I throw in this DVD and suddenly..I am laughing and feeling better.

So, I am still antsy about spending the big bucks on a movie...but I thinking of doing it. I might just have to see Jersey Girl on a Saturday and Sunday afternoon. Kevin's movies have never not entertained me before...

Shelley

P.S. Plus...I happen to think Smitty is adorably cute. He makes me laugh and that is SO attractive. I just wanna give him a huge bear hug. I wanna love him...and hug him...and squeeze him...and call him...George! *giggles*