Sunday, February 15, 2004

UJ: grumbles...

So, this afternoon I went out to my car to check and see if something was in my backseat. And so I open my front seat and notice that my car is messier than usual.

Well, it wasn't just messy...my car had been broken into. I don't how they got in..since I *swear* that I locked the doors to my car...and they didn't seem to be any damage to either door.

The only I can tell that has been taken is a stack of CD-Rs that were on the floor of my car. But you know what is bizarre??? Nothing else was taken...and I had a good number of stuff in my car which has value. One, the person looked through my middle console and took out my expensive 35mm camera and just let it on the front seat. I had a bunch of CDs in the console right before my stereo...which were worth much more than the CD-Rs which were taken. And, I had some cell phone adapter and stuff in my glove compartment which was not taken either... Plus, I had a set of keys to my apartment and such in my car as well...and none of that was taken. I find that kind of strange...that the things which could have easier been pawned weren't taken.

And of course...my mind goes right to the worst case scenario...that the sticky fingered bastard might have found some papers when going through my middle console and that identify theft might be an issue. I hope that isn't true...and I don't think I had anything with my social security # or anything, but I am going to have to watch my account statements and I am going to have to check my credit report at least once or twice a year...just to be sure.

I called the police...and made a report. It isn't the end of the world, but it sucks...it sucks that someone thinks that they can go into another person's car, shuffle through my papers and take anything that they would like. Sometimes I am reminded that the world is full of shmucks!

Shelley

P.S. People often assume that those who are poor or homeless are more likely to steal from you. Things like this...remind me that it isn't exactly true. I park my car at work everyday...and nothing has ever been taken from my car there. I have from time to time...left my bag or a coat or a scarf at work...and it is always returned to me. I think people want to think that the homeless are more likely to do something like this...than their next door neighbor, but it just isn't true. I know that the dirt bag who broke into my car...is most likely some shmoe who lives right near me, walked by my car...saw something they wanted and helped themselves. Ho hum....