Wednesday, October 08, 2003

UJ: candidates forum

On Tuesday night, I got the opportunity to go to a candidates forum for the local politicians in Bloomington. I am involved in the organization that hosted them and also was part of the committee steer heading it.

16 out of the 22 candidates showed up to the panel forum, which we thought was phenomenal....and it was really nice. The hosting organization asked 3 different questions about how the candidates could help and advocate for non-profits.

The interesting thing for me was what happened after the event was officially over. The candidates stayed in the room, ate some cookies, drank some coffee and talked with the people there about a variety of issue. I had a great conversation with one of the candidates who shares my political view....he was probably the most liberal democrat on the panel and I really appreciated what he had to say. So, talking with him was energizing...and I hope he wins the election because we talked about ways in which he can help the non-profit section and in particular, the agency I work for.

and secondly, I talked with another candidate who I did not agree with on much of anything. While he was answering a question, I disagreed with his take on it enough that I reacted....my body language made it obvious that I did not support his ideas. So, after the event...he came up to me and mentioned something about how he noticed I didn't agree with him and what he had to say. I laughed and mentioned that it must have been that obvious...lol So, we began talking...we still don't agree, but we got to share our perspective with one another. We talked about how policies...one way or the other would effect our community. We talked for about 20 minutes...two people who probably couldn't even agree on what type of cookie is best.

Things like that mean so much to me....I think if we listen to people, even when we disagree...we can learn so much. The candidate and I could have got all defensive...starting yelling about our point of view, but instead...we just listened to one another and tried to learn something. In the end, we both know that he won't get my vote, but I do understand why thinks the way he does....and that is a great lesson.

Anyways...it was a really great evening. I am such a political person by nature, so these things energize me....

Shelley