Thursday, September 25, 2003

UJ: inspired to act

I finally saw all of Bowling for Columbine a few days ago. I had seen parts of it, but not the whole thing. I had mad respect for Michael Moore before seeing it all, but now...I am in such great debt and gratitude to him. He is willing to stand up and say what is right...even if he knows it may cause boos or unpopular opinions.

And the core message of Bowling is so true....we, as Americans, live our lives out of fear, in conventional and unconventional ways. We are constantly worrying about 'what if' and it keeps us from being active. I have been an activist in my time and at other times, I have let fear win. We live in a world where the people with power can make decisions that change our lives. And yes, sometimes standing up to those powers that be...it is scary and can have some pretty devastating consequences.

But...what hits me harder than anything in this movie is that not only does action have the possibility to have negative consequences, but it also can have wonderfully positive ones. It takes bravery and guts...to stand up against powerful and at times omnious opposition and say what you KNOW to be right, but without that....nothing will ever change.

Without standing up...and challenging the world, it isn't going to change. We live in a nation that proclaims loudly about it being a place where all voices can be heard and where people can make a difference. They say we live in a nation by the people FOR the people... Well, if we don't use our voices....then, in many ways it is our own fault. We need to be loud and heard so that there is no question about what the people want.

George Bush is not my president.

I did not vote for him and yes, neither did most of the country. I have moved on from this because at this point...festering on it will do no good. But, I am focused on making sure that the next election is not the same. My vote will be clear and I hope the nation follows. If the will of the people elect George Bush, so be it. But, I will stand and say that I do not support him, his administration, his policies and his war. And...I also have faith that this election can be taken from Bush. I have faith that he can be unseated. I often remember Bush Sr during his re-election campaign. Everyone said that he could not be defeated. If we all gave up then and didn't try....the magic of Bill Clinton never would have happened. We have to speak our mind and our support of whatever candidate we feel will do the best job...and have some faith and hope.

I do not support this war.

I have said it before and I will say it again. This is not my war...and not only do I find this war misguided and inhumane, but I am saddened to see that it will single handedly continue to hurt this country. How can we live in a time of economic disaster and still in all conscience accept to spend 87 billion dollars on a war, any war...especially not this war. Our country is falling apart in front of our eyes....and we need all the resources we have right now, but instead they are being sent to bomb a nation, while calling it Operation Iraqi Freedom. I find it ironic that no matter who and what we bomb...it is in the name of humanitarianism, but any sort of reaction from Iraq or its people is considered terrorism. How can the people who spin that sleep at night? You wonder why the world thinks we are the bullies of the nation...because we are. My heart is saddened when I hear of this war and this effort....

On the backs of the poor...

This nation...and its overflowing problems are the burden of the poor. How is it that we can have a huge deficit, but at the same time be giving tax breaks? Who does that make sense to? It makes sense to those who seem to sing it praises because it doesn't effect them. Where is this money coming from? We know that the US doesn't have a money tree to go to when they need a few extra bucks here and there, so where will that money come from? It will come from the programs which help the people with the least amount of power and the softest voice...the poor. TANF will be restricted and cut.....access to public housing will be cut...funds for medicaid and medicare will be cut....the americorps program has already been and will continue to be cut. This is how tax breaks will be paid for and justified. They will be funded by slashing the budgets of anything that resembles a social service. I am not just offended by this because I work in social services....I am offended because I see what it does to the people I work with. I have seen how desperate the times are out there. It hurts my heart to know that soon I will be unable to help because of an administration that does not see the GREAT need out there. Cuts will continue to be made....on the back of the poor. And until we stand up and make enough noise, it will continue to happen.

There is the sentiment out there that the poor and oppressed don't have any power...that they do not have a voice. And well this may be true right now, it is not because it is actually true. It is true because we believe it to be true. Every person has a voice...and those who are oppressed....if they battle together and make a stand, their voices can be very powerful. The issue comes back to fear. The poor and oppressed...we know and they know...that these powerful people hold the key to their jobs, their money and their services. So...sometimes staying silent becomes a necessity for survival.

I think the biggest lesson I got out of watching Bowling...and anything else Michael Moore is involved in was really just a reminder. It is a reminder of the power of a single voice. It reminds me that even when it is scary....the value of standing up and speaking one's mind. It reminded me that there are battles right now that need to be fought and that if stay silent and afraid...then our silence speaks as support.

I am encouraged....and know that there is work out there to be done.

Alright...that is enough for now. Enjoy the day and all that it brings...

Shelley