Sunday, September 28, 2003

UJ: school of rock

I went to see a sneak preview of 'School of Rock' last night....and since it was a sneak preview, I also got to see 'Dickie Roberts: Former Child Star; after it.

I loved 'School of Rock'...it is completely Jack Black and him at his finest. It is a movie about this guy who is kicked out of his band because he is too eccentric and out of control...and goes to substitute teach to make the rent...and teaches the kids to ROCK!

It was a great movie....not mind altering, but very funny. I often think of Jack Black much like people think of Jim Carrey...you know his craziness is part of the package and sometimes, it is just the thing the movie needs. Black just makes me laugh...and that is what this movie is...a laugh factory.

And if I am forced to see any kind of message in this film...which I always at least try to do....I think it is there. One, it is a movie about these kids at the best prep school in the country....and what is their music education before the introduction of the wacky Jack Black? They go once a week to music class where they only play classical. The kids have parents who consider rock music to be DANGEROUS and yell at their kids for being interested in rock 'n roll. Yes, Jack Black and him teaching the kids to ROCK is over the top, but I think the perception of the attitude about rock music in the 'pre ivy league' environment...I think is right on. When schools face budget cuts these days...what do they cut? They cut the arts and music program...because many people don't consider it necessary to a in depth education. I could not agree more. And if music is taught...it is contemporary music...it is classical. I love classical, but I also think that music of today is something to be learned. I remember getting the chance to take a class in High School on the evolution of rock and roll...and it was one of the best courses I took. I am not saying that students should sacrifice math or social studies or even physical education, but I am just saying that music and art should not be sacrificed either.

And secondly....there is this constant pressure by the teachers and principal that Jack Black teach the kids by the curriculum and nothing else. And if you know Jack Black...you know that isn't possible. And in the end...he connects with those kids in a way that no other teacher in the school is. He uses a method that works...but it is almost considered a threat to the school. (and yes...he isn't a teacher and is just pretending...which is of course....very wrong). But he teaches these kids....about music and in a very after school special way...makes a difference in their lives. I just think it brings about the point that there are so many ways to teach and to learn....

Anyways...enough deep thoughts about 'School of Rock'...how embarrassing, eh?

And I don't have much to say about 'Dickie Roberts.' I think it is one of the worst movies I have seen in a while. One, I think it was just a interesting twist and remake of Billy Madison, but not done nearly as well. And two...the jokes weren't funny and it tried to hard to be emotional and it just ended up being over the top. The only thing I found mildly entertaining was the presence of actual child stars...my fav being Leif Garrett. I was too young to know him as a child star, but sadly...Behind the Music made me quite a fan! *winks*

So...my recommendation...go see 'School of Rock' and skip...'Dickie Roberts'

Enjoy!

Shelley