Tuesday, September 30, 2003

UJ: fatherhood conference

I went to a day long fatherhood conference in Indy yesterday. I went with 2 other co-workers and it was an interesting day. In many ways...I learned a lot and in many ways...it wasn't what I expected.

The greatest thing though....was I got to see a friend who I worked with when I did outreach. I hadn't seen him in a couple years and wasn't even sure what he was up to, even though I think of him often. He was one of my favorite people when I did outreach. I would love just talking to him when we went out in a team together. I mean...we had our up and down times, but who remembers those bad times anytimes? We exchanged our new emails and phone numbers and I am hoping we keep in touch. The conference was worth it....if it was just for that.

And secondly...one of the sessions was taught by one of my professors when I was in grad school. She taught my family practice class. She was talking about how to welcome dads into the process in the field.... This prof and I...let's just say we didn't see eye to eye when I was her student. I felt like in many ways...she didn't show social work values with the way she taught and how she dealt with students. She also doesn't set the best tone for students to question things. You know...one of those instructors...where she is either right...or she is right. Her topic was interesting and I thought she covered it well...and i am probably biased, but I still see all those things there. The thing is...I can't question nor contradict that the things she knows well...she knows. Sometimes I think her attitude is so unfortunate because she has such knowledge...and I think often people don't get a chance to really get all of it.

And the final thing....was a panel of young fathers coming to talk to the group. These young men ranged in age from 17 to 28. It was really wonderful hearing them speak....and seeing how this one organization just made such a difference in their lives...and by making a difference in their lives...made a difference in their childrens' lives. I think in social services...we focus so much on the moms....but it is important not to forget the fathers in the picture. It was a great ending to the day...really cemented what the whole conference was about.

So...it was a good day. I learned a good deal and hope to be able to bring it back to what I do.

Shelley