Wednesday, September 03, 2003

UJ: orientation

today we had the interns at work for the first time. I am their direct supervisor, so I spent the whole day doing an orientation with them and it was really great.

I think I would love being a professor. I love the idea of helping someone in their learning. Not feeding them info, but helping them with their process of learning. I remember what it was like being in an agency and trying to learn how to be the best social worker that I could be. I hope I can help these students in the same way I was helped...in some ways I wasn't helped.

It's also awesome...on a personal level. I was just in school two years ago and in that time...I have become the field instructor with the most students. That feels pretty great. It's something I love doing...and last semester, I was pretty good at it. I would love...down the line...to have a job that worked full time with students in either placement or teaching. I think it would be something I would throughly enjoy. I love direct practice, but I think even more I love helping others become the workers. I always loved the idea...even when I was in college....in being able to spark someone's interest about something. So...I think probably my dream job for me...would be teaching social work and maybe being able to see those bright eyes idealist social workers continue to go out there in the world.

So...today was a good day. It was busy...it flew right by, but I really enjoyed it. I hope for many more like it.

Right now I am STARVING...so I am gonna go make something for dinner!

*winks*

Shelley