Sunday, September 14, 2003

UJ: Some Girls

I just got back from an AWESOME show. it was to see Some Girls. It is a band made up of Heidi Gluck, Juliana Hatfield and Freda Love. Juliana has a pretty well known solo career...and Juliana and Freda were in the Blake Babies together in the 80s and then a reunion tour a year or so ago. Heidi is in a local Indy band, The Pieces.

I have loved The Blake Babies since I was a kid. My brother had little to nothing in common when we were kids. But, we had the Blake Babies in common. It is a band I loved since the first time I heard it. It's the hard rock...maybe a little punky. It just has a great vibe and beat. At first I didn't want to like the Blake Babies just because my brother did...but I couldn't help it, I loved them.

I remember going to college...and my brother sending me a mix tape of tunes and being so happy there was a Blake Babies tune on it. I played that tape constantly...hmm, I wonder if I still have it...and where it is. I'm gonna have to track that down.

And then my freshman year...I went to see a Juliana Hatfield show in Vermont. I went with 4 girls on my floor...they were all pretty alternative and thought I was preppy and wouldn't like Juliana. I rocked out at the show...sang along with almost every line...and had the time of my life. It was an amazing show...in this tiny little venue. I have the fondest memories of standing there...and just being washed over by the music.

Since then...Juliana has had a semi-successful solo career. I own most of her album....Beautiful Creature is my absolute favorite. It is soft and vulnerable....and just speaks to me. I often listen to it when I am driving in the car...since it is quite calming. It's upbeat and has a great rock edge, but also this soulful side....

And then the Blake Babies put out a new album in 2001...and i could not be happier. I listen to parts of that CD at least once a day. It was like a revisit to my realization of how amazing music could be as a kid..... And it is one kick ass album. It's called God Bless The Blake Babies.

I don't think I can quite capture in words what this band means to me....their music is so raw and real....it just really speaks to me, it always has. I couldn't feel any more lucky to be able to see and hear the set tonight. Some Girls released an album...it's called 'Feel It.'

You can download a free song on their site, so check them out:

http://www.some-girls.com

Off to listen to their CD...again!

rock on!

Shelley