Sunday, August 10, 2003

UJ: Seymour Days Recap

Yesterday was a pretty good day. I went down to Seymour, Indiana for their Seymour Days festival. Now going isn't all about Seymour....it's about the people who were going....the crazy Mellencamp fans..and yep, I am one of 'em.

Let me tell you...these people are amazing. I hadn't been at a Mellencamp event in about a year....so, I had almost forgot how great these people are. What a wonderful feeling to have a whole group of people so excited to see you...it was a great bump to my self-esteem...which if you read this thing, was kind of in a down slump. We have such a community...in many ways, it is much like a family. I felt like I had a little family reunion yesterday. They are wonderful people and I will be much more connected in the future...sinceI kinda dropped off the face of the world in the last year.

Oh, I got to see Moe and Jenn...who used to be in John's band yesterday. Both of them looked really good....and I was happy to hear they are both still kicking around in Bloomington. They played a show on Saturday night, but I was just too tired to check them out, but I most definitely will next time. Here are their websites, check them out!

http://ww.moezmd.com

http://www.jenncristy.com


And the music began...the first band is one of my absolute favs! They are truly one of my top five bands ever....The Mary Janes. They are a folk rock band...I think that is the best way I can describe them. The first time I heard their music...and Janas' voice...I knew I would love them. If I was ever to be making music and in a band, I would strive to have something much like Janas and the Mary Janes. I'll admit it, I would love to be Janas and what she brings to music!

Here is the Mary Janes website, check them out too!

http://www.themaryjanes.com

The Mary Janes played a great set...and Toby Myers (Mellencamp's forum bass player) sat in with her. In the end, they played a song in memory of some people who passed away this year. One of those people....was a very dear friend of many of the Mellencampers. She passed away from cancer a couple of months back. The tribute was so heartfelt and beautiful. I know she saw it...and is smiling down on us. She was a huge fan of Toby....so, the fact that he was honoring and remembering her, I know that meant a lot to her!

It was strange to be at a Mellencamp event with her. She was the first Mellencamp fan that I met....so, I will always think of her when I think of him and his music. Much much love to her...and all those who love her!

And then the music continued...Bobby Clark played. His set was good as usual...Bobby is Mellencamp's cousin (for those crazy kids who don't know!). I bought his newest CD...and I am sure I will like it as much as I liked the other one.

It was so so hot yesterday....phew...I got a tad too much sun, so now i am slightly burned, but it was well worth it. By the end of the day, I was getting quite tired. We all were walking around SICA like we were in a daze! Maybe next year they will make the Seymour Days over two days...so we won't be the Mellencamp zombies by the end of the day!

Overall...what a great day....seeing some wonderful friends...hearing some wonderful music. I SO look forward to the next day like this one.

Shelley

P.S. The event was at the Southern Indiana Center for the Arts. Here is their website, check them out too! It is run by Don Hill...who is the nicest man on the planet!

http://www.sica-seymour.org