Monday, October 25, 2004

Mystery Movie Review!

Well...after a few guesses...Barry finally got it right. Well, almost right. Gushing and drooling...I say no. Admiring from afar? Oh hell yes. Swooning...maybe. Humminaing...for sure.

Yes, the film I ventured out to see was indeed Surviving Christmas starring Ben Affleck (hummina), James Gandolfini, Christina Applegate and various others. It's mainly a clip about Affleck's character...who desperately doesn't want to be alone on Christmas, so he goes to his childhood home and pays the family there to be his "fake" family for the holidays. And from there...chaos ensues.

Yes, the film seems formula driven at points. You walk in the theatre knowing how the movie is going to end. It's not one that surprises you much. But, I think that is a given in many, many romantic comedies these days. I did think some jokes were heavy handed and forced, but I saw that as a flaw in the writing...and not much in the acting. I thought parts of the film were hilarious. I laughed for about a minute at one joke...and was happy to see it wasn't ruined by being in the trailer. It's one of my main complaints of comedies these days...all the great jokes we can see at home by watching the trailer.

I don't think this movie is going to do well in theatres. In fact, it already isn't. I think it has a couple things going against it. It's a Christmas movie coming out before Halloween. I think that was a huge mistake. It didn't do too well in the first week...and not sure it will pick up from there. It's no wonder that The Grudge was the top grossing film this weekend...since audience are more likely in the mood for scary than caroling. And secondly...even though I have mad love for him...there is quite the Affleck backlash these days. People will dislike it just because he is in it.

Overall.....I liked the film...in all it's cheesy poof wonder. It's cute, it's funny...it's the movie I expected to see when I walked in the door. Plus...yep, Affleck wasn't bad to look at for an hour and a half.

And...I thought he had one absolutely magical scene in the movie. His character spends much of the movie not talking about his real family...diverting the attention when asked, etc. But when he finally talks about his family...I thought Affleck brought something amazing to that scene. I noticed myself stopping and really listening...instead of waiting for the next joke. That scene made the movie for me...it made it sparkle and feel a smidge less cookie cutter. It really spoke to me.

In the end, I recommend it. I thought it was charming, sweet, funny with a crude edge.... I think it's a shame that the movie couldn't have been released in November...when an audience really wants to see a movie full of christmas trees and sled rides.